Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Humbled...

Our new ARMY FRIENDS at Italian Pie!

Tonight has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. Leah and I took the kids to dinner at Italian Pie. The guy in the pic (the owner) greeted us as we walked in and asked if Cori and Tyler were cousins. They said nope, they were "army friends". Well a few minutes later he came to our table and asked if our husbands were deployed. We said yes not really thinking much else about it. After we ordered and everything he came back to our table. He said the gentlemen at another booth had overheard our conversation and bought our dinner and told us thank you. He left before we could say anything to him. However, we were both really taken back. Tears filled our eyes as we sat there and talked about what just happened.
You know there are days when I would give anything to just go back and be "normal" To have you home again. But days like today and experiences like that make me realize you are really where you need to be right now. You are there for more than just me and our family. You are there for our country and the rest of the world. It is nice to know that people really do appreciate the sacrifices you are making. Although the very kind man was not able to directly thank you for your service, it humbled me to know that complete strangers will do things like that. Although I am not a soldier and not serving our country, I am so proud to be a small part in all of this. I could not be prouder to be your wife. I will continue to do whatever I can to support you throughout your journey. Although that man could not tell you, and I don't know how to express it perfectly in words, you are appreciated.
You make us all proud and thankful to be Americans.
Love always,
Sarah

PS....anyone reading this PLEASE go to Italian Pie. They were some of the nicest and most generous people I've met in a really long time. The world needs more people like them!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AWESOME SARAH.......I had a very similar experience happen to me at Publix....while talking to the lady in front of me, she found out my husband was currently deployed and she bought my groceries!! All I could do was hug her with tears in my eyes and say "Thank You". I will probably never cross paths with her again or be able to tell others her name and what she did, but I was so touched and very proud to be in the position I was in. These are the people that make the world turn! I am glad you shared your experience!
Hugs,
Melissa